I Heart You, You Haunt Me by Lisa Schroeder

The downside of being an empathetic person, is feeling pain as your own. Unfortunately, pain is just part of life, and we don’t need books to tell us how it feels. However, sometimes you read something and it gives you a new perspective on how to or how others deal with difficult situations. Recently, one of my closest friends gave birth to her first child and that same day, in the same hospital, my friend’s sister was struggling (and continues to) to survive. I felt overwhelmed with emotions; on one side I was happy for my friend’s baby, on the other side I felt for my friend and his family. I wanted something different to read this time, and I am glad I found this book by Lisa Schroeder.


I Heart You, You Haunt Me 

I Heart You, You Haunt Me
I have never read a verse novel before, and I was fairly pleased. The rhythm (in my head) was amazing, and it was beautifully written. The novel is about two young lovers – Ava and Jackson. The beginning of the story is during Jackson’s funeral. Ava’s realization that she will never see Jackson again is so intense and heartbreaking. I was captivated by the way that love, pain, anger, and hope could be summarized in a few words.

When promises are broken, we tend to feel angry at those who break it. Ava is upset because Jackson broke his promise. It doesn’t seem fitting at first, but how can the person she loves most leave her – he promised he wouldn’t. We all deal with loss and different ways, and sometimes we feel guilty for the actions of others. Jackson made a choice not only was it tragic, but it was a choice that affected everyone who loved him.

You are probably wondering about the haunting part. I was skeptical to read the book at first, because anything scares me. I thought I wouldn’t be able to sleep, but since I cried plenty I was able to fall asleep fairly quickly. Ava has a different relationship with Jackson, one that would probably freak most people out (except those who long for their loved ones). Jackson’s presence is proof of his unselfishness and his love for Ava.

If you are looking for a happy ending…well you might just have to interpret “happy ending” a different way. Learning to let go of someone is so difficult, but letting go doesn’t mean you have to stop loving them or stop thinking about them. Sometimes, you can start over again because the person you loved most gives you a second chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment