Reno's Chance, a Tempting SEALs novella by Lora Leigh

I firmly believe no one writes an alpha male better than Lora Leigh. And Reno Chavez? No exception.

I made the mistake of getting the Tempting SEALs series and the Elite Ops series mixed up. Technically (and I am a technical kind of girl), the Tempting SEALs came first. And while you could absolutely read each series separately and still be totally satisfied, if you're like me and plan on reading them all anyway, you may as well start appropriately with Reno's Chance, which is book one in the Tempting SEALs series.

I started with book one of the Elite Ops, then moved on to book two of Tempting SEALs, and somewhere along the way realized I was ass backwards. Now, I'm halfway through both series and hardly confused at all!

I would in no way, shape or form call myself a writer. Have I dabbled in it? Sure. (I have tons of saved incomplete rough drafts.) Have a dreamed of one day being the next Judith McNaught? Of course. And during said attempts at writing, most of what came out was inspired by my own life and fantasies. When I was 18, I wrote stories about first and everlasting love. Ten years later, when I separated from my husband, I wrote about lovers torn apart to be reunited later with a love that was stronger than ever. Who knows what crazy shenanigans I'll be writing about in the future.

So many of Leigh's leading characters meet when they're very young, usually teenagers. There's a strong awareness of each other, but, of course, nothing romantic happens until much later. I wonder if Ms. Leigh is also writing from personal experience. The idea just makes my little heart go pitter pat.

In Reno's Chance, Reno and Raven are two such characters. They practically grew up together. Raven's brother, Clint, is in the Navy with Reno. And Reno's sister, Morganna, is Raven's best friend. (Clint and Morganna do some very naughty things together in book two.) Reno has wanted Raven for years and, as the wonderfully confident and dominant alpha male that he is, has known he would one day have her.

Unfortunately, Raven is dealing with some issues from her past, especially after having spent her childhood watching her mom and dad (also a Navy SEAL) fight every time he has to leave on another mission. It's after one especially bitter goodbye, that her father is killed in battle and doesn't return home. Despite her feelings for Reno, Raven has grown up swearing to not follow in her mother's footsteps. (I think I've done the same thing myself a time or two.)

Luckily, Reno wears her down, Raven finds her strength, and after one heart-wrenching declaration, which includes a pitiful whimpering puppy, all is right with the world. The only thing that could have possibly made this book any better is if it had been full length.

1 comment:

  1. I am interested!I love declarations! Sorry, I just abused exclamation marks. Sorry.

    ReplyDelete