Bloodlines by Richelle Mead

I am a moody reader (I think I have established that in my last post) and in case you are wondering if I got my grilled cheese, well yes, yes I did. I don’t know what made me want one in the first place, but I had to please my stomach. I don’t do things for myself often, and in my current situation a grilled cheese was manageable. Sometimes, we do things for the ones we love regardless of how much it hurts us – have you read the Vampire Academy series? There is a lot of selflessness going on in that series, and not just romantically. I loved the characters (especially Adrian) and I am so happy that some of favorites characters are now part of the spin-off series! I was a little hesitant to start another series because I hate waiting for the books to become available. I am glad I was able to overcome the knowledge that anxiety will soon settle, because I will start complaining to everyone (sorry Stephanie) I know because the second book isn’t out Until May 2012 (gasp!). Let me apologize to you because I will not be giving a summary of Vampire Academy. Now, calm yourself, Ms. Mead did a great job with this book and if you haven’t read her previous series, well it doesn’t really matter. Trust me.


I am not going to lie; the beginning of the book was slow but once you get past the first chapter, please get yourself together because it’s good! Sydney Sage is an Alchemist (not like this one, good book though). Her “people” are trained to clean up after vampire occurrences, to protect the human race. Her father has trained her in many subjects, and in the belief that vampires are unnatural and an abomination. Even though Alchemist do not like vampires, it is in their best interest to keep their existence a secret from humans. Sydney is assigned a mission to protect Jill (princess) due to threats. Sydney and Jill are enrolled as sisters in an academy located in Palm Springs, California. When Jill and Sydney arrive at the academy they have to deal with insecurities, bullying, secrets, lies, and life threatening situations! It’s very exciting, and while the author makes the action interesting enough, I loved the interaction between the characters the most. I don't think I've ever liked so many characters before, it's probably because I am a real sucker for love triangles.

Anyway, I loved Sydney. She is smart, charismatic, and she has a huge heart. It was interesting to see the development of her character throughout the book. But you know who I love the most? Adrian. Oh Adrian, he is a real threat to my Edward Cullen y’all. He is such a tortured soul, but tries to play off his real feelings by being chivalrous (he still manages to be super charming). Sydney has a tremendous impact on Adrian’s careless attitude, and by the end of the book there are major improvements on his character. However, it seems like it’s all about to fall apart when someone from his past shows up to work with him. Please, if you are going to start a series, start with this one.

2 comments:

  1. Way to leave a cliffhanger.

    Also, I miss Adrian!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My initial reaction was "oh! Snap!" and then I was reeling because I have to wait until next year.

    ReplyDelete