The Buckhorn Brothers: Sawyer & Morgan by Lori Foster

The Buckhorn Brothers series consists of five books: Sawyer, Morgan, Gabe, Jordan, and Casey. I've only finished the first two, but let me just say this: I want to be BFFs with all of them. You know, if they were real. (Minor technicality.) Their relationship and camaraderie is something I could totally get behind.

About Sawyer:
"Sawyer Hudson, the only doctor in Buckhorn County, took it upon himself to rescue the beautiful but enigmatic woman who came literally crashing into his life. Though he knew he should keep things platonic and professional, around her his body had other ideas. And his heart was no more cooperative. Honey Malone was on the run, fleeing a dangerous predator, when she lost control of her car, drove into a lake - and found herself up to her neck in breathtaking men. After the brothers nursed her through her injuries, she tried to leave, but she hadn't bargained on their stubborn protectiveness. Or the passionate bond that tied her to Sawyer."

This was a super charming, fun, quick read. Let me confess: I am a sucker for tortured souls and Honey played a great part. As it was the first Lori Foster book I've read and therefore didn't know quite what I was getting into, I was afraid that it was going to turn into another Colters' Woman. Let's just say I'm glad it did not go anywhere near that line debauchery. (And that's another review for another time.)

About Morgan:
"Morgan Hudson commanded a lot of respect as Buckhorn's biggest, baddest sheriff. How one petite city woman could turn him on his head was a mystery, not to mention being downright aggravating. But Misty Malone did just that, and Morgan couldn't wait 'til she went back where she belonged... But then he discovered why she'd come in the first place. Misty Malone had hoped to take refuge with her sister, who'd just married into a family of sinfully attractive brothers. They all treated her like gold— all but one. Morgan seemed to think she was some sort of femme fatale, out to seduce his brothers. But seduction was the last thing on her mind. Foremost was the baby she was secretly carrying. And then, how to avoid the sexual sparks flying between her and Morgan."

In addition to tortured souls, I'm a bit of a sucker for big, hulking men. The taller and wider, the better. Morgan, in that regard, was perfect. Tall and built and scowling most of the time, but, naturally, with a heart of gold. Actually, if I had one complaint, it was that the brothers are all almost too good. Men like this just don't exist! (If they do, I'd like their number. Like, yesterday.) If I had a second complaint, it'd be that I'm not a fan of "secret babies." Still, Ms. Foster manages to pull both off and I thoroughly enjoyed myself.

I hate to say that I felt like Morgan's story dragged just a teeny tiny bit, 'cause honestly, I don't know if it really did drag, or if it was just my perception from having my reading broken up into short little pieces here and there. However, the last half more than made up for any perceived dragging. It was super cute. And, Lori Foster? She's got the sexual tension thing down to a wonderful art form.

I suppose you could call these a perfect beach read, however I don't think I've read anything other than magazines while at the beach. Because it's too distracting. Also? I'm not a beach person. However, I will say that these are the perfect stay-up-all-night-'cause-it's-so-effing-hot-you-can't-sleep books. That I would know a little something about.

14 comments:

  1.  Not yet... I'm just finishing Jordan's story and then I fully intend to read Casey's... especially since I just met Emma and now I'm dying to know what happens.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Stephanie. So... just curious. Did you read "Casey" too? Since you said Gabe was a fave, I wondered if you'd finished them all. :-)
    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gayle,

    Thank you for the lovely comment. How do you like the Kindle? That is such a great gift.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great new blog!  How cool that Lori Foster commented here!  I got a Kindle for my b'day and I'll add this series to my list of books to look for.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is great Stephanie...you may actually turn me into a reader!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Alexia. I've been eyeing that series for a while. Might be time to finally give in.

    ReplyDelete
  7. They're great stories and they are holding up beautifully. I'm glad you didn't change them. And Gabe? Once again, I stayed up much too late reading, but he is so hot! And Lizzie is so sweet. This *might* be my favorite of the series so far. Sigh. I think I'm going to be a wee bit heartbroken when this series ends.

    Lori, thanks for the comment. Totally made my day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. No need to update the Buckhorn brothers. They're great.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Enjoyed your review! If you like Lori's style, you need to read her new Men Who Walk on the Edge of Honor series! Those guys are smokin' hot! And the book trailer? One of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well thank you so much! :-) You've reassured a nervous author. See, those books are being reissued - yet again - the end of this year and the beginning of the next, and I KNOW they're now dated. Badly. I had wanted to "spruce them up" a bit, but I flat-out ran out of time. I had all the new books to deal with, and the deadline to make changes to them came and went. So... they're exactly the same as they were more than a decade ago when I initially wrote them.
    I'm glad to know they're holding up over the test of time.
    Thank you!

    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  11. What books have you read by her? I really like her style, she is great at captivating sexual tension.

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMG I ♥ Lori Foster! I have like 15 of her books on my bookshelf! And yes, she can get steamy and its wonderful. Those definitely made for some late night I can't put my book down reads!

    ReplyDelete