One Day by David Nicholls

Someone once told me “guys and girls can’t be friends.” His theory was that there are always hidden intentions in that sort of relationship. This someone and I were friends for a while and later became a couple. After we broke up he reminded me that he was my “friend” only because he had an interest in me and wanted to date me. Our relationship was not really a normal one after we broke up (big surprise!). Anyway, One Day reminded me of the good times I’ve had and with people who have meant something to me. The book was not something I am used to reading, and I was pleased to finish the story. I was pleased to finish the story because it is not in English, so you’ll have to translate everything (keep your hair on! I was kidding). I have to say that I read this book a little slow because I had to look up some words (crockery, the bollocks, nappy, crisps). Oh, the cultural differences!


I found the structure of the book interesting; the story is told by revisiting the lives of Emma and Dexter every July 15. When I first read the reviews I have to say that I was worried, but the book was well organized. Emma and Dexter are acquaintances from school and after graduation spend the night together. They are initially attracted to each other, but they don’t become romantically involved that night. It was interesting to see how their lives evolved apart.

One DayDexter leaves to travel but keep in contact with Emma. She writes him letters (hilarious) about the job she hates and about what she wishes to accomplish. Dexter is comes from a wealthy family and becomes a TV personality, eventually his job gets to his head and he starts using drugs. Emma on the other hand, is a waitress and hates her job. Unlike Dexter Emma accomplishes her most of her goals at a slower rate than Dexter. Because Dexter has chosen this unhealthy lifestyle, it has given him a different perspective of Emma and they stop talking to each other. Have you heard of such a thing?! I mean, the main characters have nothing to do with each other for two years. Nicholls created great characters and it was easy to want more from them individually. Anyway, they eventually started to see each other at friend’s weddings and eventually reconciled. They both have relationships with other people, but it’s easy to understand that they would much rather be together. Eventually Dexter decides to get married to Sylvie, who cheats on him with his college friend. At this point Emma is successful and has moved to Paris to work on her book, and Dexter meets her there. Paris is the city of love, yeah? Because Emma ditches her hot French guy to spend time with Dexter.

I loved both characters, but I really liked Emma she was definitely not “all fur coat and no knickers” She had her knickers on. Emma was passionate, smart,witty, and had great taste in music. I loved her sense of humor and her overall loyalty to Dexter. She made him a better man, and it was sweet to see that he knew this. Even though he had the fame and the “friends” at any given moment, he would have rather talked to Emma. Too bad there were things they never said to each other, but still they knew they depended on one another. I would definitely recommend this book, it was a very lovely.

2 comments:

  1. this has been on my to-read book list for about a year. it's being turned into a movie and i'm debating on waiting to see it til i finally read it.

    thanks for the review, i liked the insight.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I over looked this book a few times. I saw that it was being made into a movie and immediately decided to read it. I am definitely going to see the movie.

    ReplyDelete