Kinky Neighbors by Jasmine Haynes

Alternate post title: When good books go wrong.

Warning: this post may or may not contain spoilers, but I find myself unable (and unwilling) to care. THAT'S HOW STRONG MY EMOTIONS ARE AFTER FINISHING.

Warning #2: I may or may not abuse the Caps Lock key and/or exclamation points in this post.

I was not going to post about this book. Hell, I wasn't even going to READ this book. But it was getting all sorts of positive reviews and I had thoroughly enjoyed Past Midnight by the same author and, well, I was hoping it would be something else than EXACTLY WHAT IT WAS: a book about two couples, friends, who decide to all (as in ALL FOUR OF THEM) become sexually involved, spend a month living out their fantasies, then deal with the clusterfuck that ensues.


Two couples, two very hot wives, two husbands who don’t mind a little swapping... The Mitchells and the Harts have been next door neighbors and friends for the past year. They have loads in common; double incomes, professional careers, no kids...and a kinky streak. Now they’re about to become very good friends...with kinky benefits. The sex between them all is hot, naughty, and unbearably exciting. It isn’t merely swapping partners and moving to another room; it’s true foursome sex, same room, same bed, all four involved. For Drew and Cat Mitchell and Logan and Alexis Hart, it’s about barreling through boundaries none of them have ever crossed before, doing kinky things they’ve only fantasized about. But when they begin to exchange not just sex but emotional connection, the problems start; a little jealousy, feeling left out, wanting more from the wrong partner. Can two couples really share everything without losing it all?

Kinky Neighbors left me reeling. And very, very angsty. I stayed up and finished it in one night. It was compelling like a train wreck. I could not look away, even though I was borderline horrified the entire time. There was the part of me (the happily-ever-after love-conquers-all part) that really hoped that these couples-- these couples that had been married for so many years, that professed to love each other so much-- would realize what they had in each other, stay together, fall more in love than ever.

There was the other part of me that was happy it ended exactly the way it did. Because there was still a falling into love and a happily-ever-after and the right people did end up together. But getting to that point? Effing heartbreaking. The manipulation, the secrecy, the doubts and betrayal... oh, it was painful to read. It left me quite sad and actually kind of angry. So many times throughout the book I found myself wanting to Just. Stop. Reading. (I'm glad I saw it through.) (I think.)

While the book was about all four characters, the focus was on Drew and Alexis. They were great. They were such good, decent people; both loving and wanting to make their partners happy. Watching each of their several-years-long marriages fall apart was devastating. I was rooting for them the entire way even as I wanted to scream "Stop! Don't! THIS CAN'T END WELL!" and I only wish the ending had been longer. I needed more time to revel in and comfort myself with Alexis and Drew's love for each other. I DIDN'T GET ENOUGH TIME! It was all angst and sex and heartache TIMES ONE THOUSAND then BAM! Happy ending. The end.

(I should be grateful I got that at least.)

This is one of those books that I'm dying to talk about with someone. (Which is probably why I decided to post about it after all.) So, if I haven't spoiled it (I probably have) and you want to read it (you might not) then let me know when you're done so we can have a total gabfest about it later.

3 comments:

  1. fine. i just bought it for Kindle (it was only $2.99). i'm currently reading Pride&Prejudice and then i'm moving straight to this. it's kinda comical.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ok i read it and finished it over the weekend. i didn't love it. i realize it's an erotica novel so therefore there's a lot of sexually explicit stuff in it but that was all that it seemed to have. the characters didn't have much depth to them, none of them were like-able and the only good thing that happened was the completely unprepared pairing of Cat & Logan. i figured the other two would get together but i was not prepared for cat & logan to match up, tho they obviously did not last.

    good lord i sound like a prude. don't get me wrong, i liked the drawn out sex stuff but i guess i wanted to know more about the characters... why were they like that, what made cat tick, why was alexis so shy blah blah blah.

    ReplyDelete