Trespass by Meg Maguire

I've tried to tell people that I have a problem reading too much and I get the same response every time. "Seems like a good problem to have." No. No, it isn't. I mean, sure, I love to read and I suppose if I'm going to do too much of anything then reading ain't so bad a vice, however now there's this here blog and you'd think I'd have plenty of material to write about except that I can't seem to quit reading long enough to do so. Vicious cycle, that.

Anyway, in case you're wondering, there is a point to this story. You see, I finished Meg Maguire's Trespass a couple days ago and I loved it. I told myself to write about it while it was still fresh in my memory, but did I listen? Of course not. I've read two other books since then and the details are starting to fade. I hate that.
Many would envy veterinarian Russ Gray’s life in rural Montana’s wide-open spaces. Russ calls it lonely. In a country with more cattle than eligible females, he doesn’t envision his seven years as a widower ending anytime soon. Until a mysterious woman lands at his door in the dead of night, riddled with buckshot. Sarah Novak hates lying to such a kind, handsome man, but if an upstanding citizen like Russ finds out why she’s been three weeks on the run, he’d surely turn her in. Yet she can’t refuse his offer to let her stay until she heals, no questions asked. From the start they fall into an easy companionship, then teasing flirtation flares into an unexpected intimate connection. But no matter how right it feels in his arms, guilt tugs at Sarah’s heart. Russ doesn’t deserve what she must do next. When Russ wakes up with an empty bed—and an empty wallet—his first instinct isn’t to call the cops…it’s to catch her and find out why his urge to protect her overshadows all reason. Because he’s had a taste of real passion, and he’s not letting it slip away without a fight.
For me, there has never been so fine a line between loving and hating a book until now. It could have very easily gone in the latter direction had I not tumbled head first into love with Russ and Sarah and all their sweetness and imperfection. The circumstances leading them to each other were, I hate to say, utterly ridiculous. But I could have spent hundreds of more pages reading about them, their lives, their new love and unfolding relationship. There were moments both heartwarming and heart-wrenching. It was lovely.

1 comment:

  1. She leaves him and takes his money? I want to know the reason, I don't think I've come across a book in which the heroine deceives the man she loves. Interesting.

    ReplyDelete