If You Could See Me Now by Cecelia Ahern

A few weeks ago, Stephanie and I went to Starbucks and while we were talking I accidentally called someone (I think my boyfriend) Ivan. I loved the story so much and if I was to create a list of qualities a man must have, I would base them on Ivan. I am not saying he is perfect, but the tenderness of his being and selflessness are definitely worth noting. I mean haven’t we all imagined what it would be like to be with someone who was perfect to us? I know I have. What if you were the only one who could the one you love?

The interesting thing about the story is that Ahern created a different type of heroine. By different I mean there were times when I wanted to slap her, but as the story develops it’s easy to understand her situation and the reason she acted the way she did. One of the best qualities about Elizabeth was her sense of loyalty. No matter what, no matter how she felt, and no matter what happened she fought. Her mother abandoned her family when she was younger. Her father barely speaks to her; her sister is a disaster and irresponsible mother. Elizabeth had to take care of her six-year-old nephew Luke, because her sister wouldn’t do it. Luke (even if you don’t like kids) is a really sweet child who needs to be loved and cared for. Elizabeth loves and takes care of him, but she doesn’t know how to show affection. At times she can be too harsh for a child his age, but he is surprisingly mature.

The beginning of the story is a little slow and I have to say that I really had to push myself to continue reading, but once Ivan was introduced I was in love. Ivan has the innocence and fun of a child, but he is also very knowledgeable and caring. The purity of his love and his intentions are so sweet! But Ivan has never met anyone who made him feel the way Elizabeth did, and it was a new phase in his life and he was forced to make a decision that would be best for everyone. Ivan thought Elizabeth that it was okay to let go, to have fun and to share her feelings with people around her. Ivan proved that there is always a second chance at love, and sometimes all we need is to let go for one day. To me, Ivan was that hope that Elizabeth had deep down, to find someone to love, and to finally let herself be happy.

Before I read this story, I would have never read a story with an ending that wasn’t what I expected. I mean, we all want to have a happy ending but sometimes a happy ending doesn’t deliver the message of a story, and I think I just wanted some change. Now, don’t get me wrong I am not saying there is no happy ending, but perhaps it’s not an ending that we are all used to. I am currently reading another book by Ahern, I really like her style and her books are sweet and sentimental (not sappy).

2 comments:

  1. I loved If you Could see Me now, the story is absolutely magical and I loved Ivan and Elizabeth. But Ivan is my favorite, he's so cute! I def loved him right away, he is one of those characters that is so easy to love. seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This story is so sweet, and the ending is so sad...I wish there was a sequel...I really fell in love with Ivan in this book and I can't imagine if Elizabeth were to lose him forever, I loved Ivan and Elizabeth, by far the cutest couple ever.

    ReplyDelete